|Ketupat Sotong - Simply delicious...yummy|
Ketupat Sotong is a popular sweet dish in Terengganu aswell as in Kelantan. Ketupat Sotong is squids stuffed with pulut (glutinous rice) soaked in sweet and creamy coconut milk. The Terengganu Ketupat sotong is white as they use cane sugar, while the Kelantan version is brown in color as they use brown coconut sugar to make it.
What does it taste like ? For those who have a sweet tooth like my husband, then this dish is delicious. The combination of fresh stuffed squids and the creamy and sweet coconut sauce makes it irresistable to some. For me I prefer mine not to sweet. So for those of you who don't like it too sweet here is the recipe on how to make them.
Some glutinous rice (pulut)
fresh medium to large sized squids
a bit of shallot
1 teaspoon fenugreek (halba)
some cane sugar
some short sticks with sharpened ends
1. Wash the squid clean.
2. Soak pulut in the coconut milk for some time.
3. Take some pulut and put into the squid then pierce the end of squid with the short stick.
5. Cook squids into the pot filled with coconut milk, ginger, shallot and fenugreek.
6. Add salt, and sugar when it boils. Stir frequently to avoid coconut milk congealing.
7. Once cooked, it is ready to be served.
If you're too lazy to make them, you can buy Ketupat sotong from night or weekend markets in :
Pasar Minggu Pengadang Baru (Weekend Market) - Tuesday
Panji Alam Weekend Market -Thursday
Batu Burok Hawker Centre - Friday
Kg. Kelulut Weekend Market - Saturday
Kuala Dungun Weekend Market - Thursday
Don't forget to tune in to next issue of Terengganu travels for more exciting information about Terengganu.